-
November 2nd, 2000, 07:02 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I'm a student filmmaker who recently purchased a Canon 514XL-S. I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find a depth of field chart for super 8. I've heard of them for 35 and 16, but not for 8. They're kind of like those mileage charts, with two axis containing cities and the distance between them listed where they meet, except of course, the variables in this case are f-stop and focal length. Any advice anyone?
-
November 3rd, 2000, 05:27 PM
#2
Inactive Member
You can find them in the book--Shot By Shot. Otherwise if you can't get that book email me and I will Xerox some for you. Good Luck
-
November 4th, 2000, 03:25 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Depth of field does not depend film gauge. If you have one for 35mm you have one for super 8.
-
November 4th, 2000, 11:12 AM
#4
Inactive Member
the problem with 35 mm charts is that they are for lenses in the >20mm range, which is approaching extreme telephoto for super 8 use. if you were to find a depth of field chart for 6mm in your 35 mm book, i'd be very surprised.
by the way, what is "shot by shot"? not the blue one about staging scenes, right?
-
November 5th, 2000, 06:19 PM
#5
Inactive Member
It does depend on gauge--It makes a who hell of a lot of differance. Super8 has a very high depth of field. It is like still photography. 35mm has a lot more DOF than 4X5. If you want charts I will send them to you. As for "Shot by Shot"--it is a little red book that is for people that want to get a brief overview of what it takes to make a movie. It is not the best book but I bought for the Super8 DOF charts.
-
November 6th, 2000, 06:02 PM
#6
Inactive Member
nigel, are you suggesting that if you cut out an 6x4 mm area from the middle of an exposed 35 mm frame, you increase the depth of field? super 8 has greater depth of field than 35 mm because you use shorter lenses, but a 20 mm lens will always be a 20 mm lens and have the same depth of field as a 20 mm lens.
/mattias
-
November 7th, 2000, 04:01 AM
#7
Inactive Member
Thanks everyone for replying, I really appreciate it. I've been looking around for Shot by Shot, but I can't seem to find it. What is the author's name? That might make it easier to track. As far as the depth of field charts go, I'm really, really surprised that I haven't seen them actually posted on this site or any other sites dedicated to 8mm. It seems like good information for a web site. Just a suggestion. Thanks again.
-
November 7th, 2000, 12:34 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Hey y'all. Still no luck on this book. Hey Nigel, if you don't mind, I'll take you up on your offer of photocopying those charts. Thanks a million.
-
November 10th, 2000, 08:34 PM
#9
Inactive Member
Matt--
Check you ASC manual you will see there is a diffence in the DOF between formats even with the same lens.
-
November 22nd, 2000, 06:30 PM
#10
Inactive Member
is it possible to post a copy of the DOF charts on the web for all to see? i for one am interested, and feel a bit sheepish to ask for personal photocopies!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks